Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Under the Sea, darling it's better, down where it's wetter...

 
The little Mermaid taught us a valuable lesson in its theme song, “under the sea.” The lyrics read: 

Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor

Such wonderful things surround you

What more are you looking for

Under the sea, under the sea

Darlin’ it’s better
Down where it’s wetter,
Take it from me

Up on the shore they work all day

Out in the sun they slave away

While we devotin’

Full time to floatin’
Under the sea


I’ve never believed that the saying that there were plenty more fish in the sea was true. In the dating world, this was a response to some miserable newly single sod who couldn’t see beyond his grief but he continued crying because he knew better. He knew it would be a struggle to find, lock in and connect with a new person. 

Love is ridiculous and the risk of exposing yourself entirely to a stranger with hope of no judgment and security is petrifying and idiotic if you were to rationalize it but for the thrill of finding the person who’ll stay we risk embarrassment anyway. 

I had the search for a soul mate described to me through a Google Advanced Search analogy. He (for a change) said, if you go through the motions of doing a Google Advanced Search when researching then you run the risk of your search yielding no results. The longer your list, the narrower the results, the less likelihood you have of finding your ideal match. 

I didn’t like what he was suggesting because it would mean the end to specificity on my list. While we both agreed that everyone has a right to be fussy about their future, he decided he didn’t want love unless it was perfect while I considered the merit of making compromises on what is trivial or negotiable in order to find true love. 

I believe one of the greatest miracles in life is finding love because against all odds, one person finds you among billions sees all of your flaws and chooses to stay with you anyway. If there was a man willing to do that for me, I sure as hell was going to give him a chance….but not without my checklist (I still have standards). 

However, what I realized in days past’ is that when my checklist became less refined, I was swimming in a whole new ocean of eligible bachelors. 

For centuries men have argued the right to keep their options open, to play the field and as such have battled with the limitations of monogamy. Women began to embrace this mentality during the sexual revolution of the 1960’s but not without a sexual stigma. 

I haven’t cracked. This isn’t one of those posts. My polygamous thoughts have not been about being with many but about thinking of many… till one emerges as supreme. 

I do take issue with this free spirited thinking though even though it’s my own because the same treatment is being reciprocated to me and I don’t like it one bit!
It seems while I was diving to the depths of my ocean, other girls took a dip and we all ran into the same big fish that is currently testing the waters. Now my water is murky. Yuck!

He’s enjoying his leisurely paddle through paradise (it’s a pool full of women – of course he was) and so he should – he’s quite a catch and it’s been a while since he’s been allowed to enjoy this sort of attention.  With adoration from the starfish (me) the clownfish and the jellyfish (the others) naturally he’ll basque in the glory of his bachelorism and take his time to select a soul mate (me again). While he’s doing that, he’ll connect with the catch of the day (clownfish and jellyfish) with reasons unknown to me. 

However in case this big fish has saltwater in his eyes and fails to see how fabulous I am, I have a backup plan. There are some sharks bathing in Big Fish’s pool too and they’re worth noticing. 

None of them have swum into my net yet but they have brushed close by and indicated a bit of interest so they have my attention. While ordinarily I’d advise to keep your eye on the prize, for the first time I see that the ocean is in fact full of flirty fish and maybe there’s merit in meeting them too for a chance that they may be better suited to me.  

I’m not sleeping around, I’m swimming around and as a starfish, it’s my right to explore the ocean I’m in. Starfish before me have been doing it for centuries and we’re not extinct yet so the strategy must have worked.

The ocean is deep, the fish are many and the lessons are far from learnt. While I’m getting better at untangling myself from the seaweed and escaping the catfish’s bite, I’m not through meeting the other stars of the sea so if Big Fish is too busy to give me my deserved attention, I’ll happily busy myself too, and maybe even meet another starfish ….

Excuse me while I take a dive in the pool of deep, dark and very handsome, there may be bigger fish to fry.  

Under the sea, under the sea
Darlin’ it’s better
Down where it’s wetter,
Take it from me
....





No comments:

Post a Comment