Tuesday, December 21, 2010

GRADUATION: PLUS DEGREES, MINUS THE HEAT


I graduated last week and ended a significant chapter of my education. I joined the ranks of Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens, Andy Lee and Megan Gale, Scarlett Johannsen and Ryan Reynolds. We all learnt our lessons and stepped up in life and away from a significant chapter of our youth. I ended my love hate relationship with university. They ended their love hate relationships with each other. We all graduated. These ends to what appeared to be long paved futures got me thinking about endings and the way we commemorate or celebrate them. 

Last week’s triumph was about the end of study, the completion of two degrees, a tick off my life plan, an X on my to do-list and a chance for other priorities to be pushed forward. I was reminded of Carrie Bradshaw’s book launch party where everyone from creationism’s Adam to Zac Efron was invited and not one of the guests was her plus one. She asked with sorry sincerity, why amidst all of one’s achievements, one’s success, does a minus one, always equate to zero? I’m no mathematician, but I do know it takes two to tango and I too, amidst my triumphs couldn’t help but think of my relationship status – tragedy. Single! There was no Danny Zuko from Grease to end graduation, to jive out of University jail, to spend ‘those summer nights’ with or to tickle me pink with his T-bird. Instead, I was cruising for an emotional bruising while checking out the PHD students at graduation, in search for the most eligible bachelor in the room.  I Failed. No A grades or High Distinctions in that assessment. 

As I walked down my graduation aisle, adorned in my academic robes, I royally realized that I hadn’t settled down because I was not willing to settle. There’s my thesis. On the honour roll this week, sharing the same philosophy was: Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron; muting their High School Musical melody. To make things difficult for the rest of us on planet single, Megan Gale and Scarlett Johannsen also pulled out their To-Let signs as they split from Andy Lee and Ryan Reynolds respectively. As a single girl, I’m thrilled to see both Andy and Ryan back on the market but am a little devastated to be in the boxing ring with the bold and the beautiful Scar-Jo and Megan. This week proves the beautiful are also the damned. I’ll happily place myself in that category too. Drama class of 2010 is now in session. 

In drama, high school sweethearts, model misfits and the acting elite were all minus one.  Zac Efron graduated from high school into a dynamic acting career, Megan Gale hoped for children while Andy Lee hoped to stay one and Scarlett Johannsen and Ryan Reynolds …well that’s an equation I can’t quite fathom. What I can conclude however, is that the single life, at least in the celebrity world appears to be a celebration, an emancipation – even a reminder that life is their to be lived. Successes come and go, relationships do too and with each phase comes a new lesson, a better evaluation of yourself and a narrower list of what to search for. 

Graduation I learnt, did not mean the end to schooling, it was the start of dating academics. It was entry into the CBD and eligibility to mix and mingle with the learned men in suits at the nearest stock exchange. 

Graduation was worth celebrating because me, plus two degrees equaled greater belief in what I could achieve. The star students of 2010 famous and not, have all ended this session with a sense of accomplishment. They, having trod, having conquered and having self-evaluated have discovered their potential for promotion and graduated with First Class Honours and as Masters of their future. Now that’s an undeniable plus!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations ... For ending the hate love relationship... and best wishes for a love-love relationship.

    ReplyDelete